MATCH REPORT: Poole triumphant in Gold Cup
Poole rounded off their South West season on a victorious note with this Gold Cup victory which went down to a last heat decider.
All 30 races were keenly contested with fellow Elite clubs Horspath and Newport providing the strongest challenge. Greg Gluchowski and Aaron Smith were in sparkling and unbeaten form and Ben Donohue was only headed once by an opponant in his five races. With Horspath having completed their rides on 56 points, three ahead of the Comets, Poole only needed to draw the final heat with Exeter to snatch the trophy. Skipper Gluchowski duly obliged with his fifth straight win of the day and with Luke Armes clinching third place, the margin of victory extended to 3.
1. POOLE 59 (Greg Gluchowski 20 Aaron Smith 19+1 Ben Donohue 15+3 Dean Hook 3 Luke Armes 2)
2. HORSPATH 56 (Wayne Hutt 16 +2 Mark Boaler 15+3 Andy Johnson 14 Zac Payne 11
3. NEWPORT 50 (Ollie Sidwick 17 Mark Carmichael 16+1 Dan Bock 12 Chris Davies 5)
4. SOUTHAMPTON 43 (Gavin Wheeler 15+1 Nathan Harris 13 Hayden Chant 11 Pete Chant 9)
5. HELLINGLY 40 (Martyn Hollebon 16 Neil Hollebon 13 Jesse Moore 9+1 Jamie Cox 7)
6. EXETER 39 (Aaron Herbert 15 Rob Croal 11 Jack Herbert 8 Dan Winchester 5)